[Zope-dev] Zope IDE

JB jimbag@kw.igs.net
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 15:02:17 -0500

I suppose this may sound crazy, but for me, the ultimate development
environment would allow me to do most everything outside the browser,
and just call the browser for viewing. I've managed to add XML-RPC and
WebDAV to ZopeEDIT and can manage Folders now (create/edit/delete) and
deal with a few attributes of Objects (title,id) (I've not released
yet). For me, the clincher with this, is being able to use my own editor
and tools (templates, other text processing python modules, cpp, m4), to
program Zope. I can do with with every other language I develop in
except Zope and this is the most frustrating aspect of trying to write a
Zope app as none of the tools I have built over the years are available
to me. I personally find this a serious productivity decrease. So, I
guess what I'm afraid of is that putting the management aspects into
another browser will be different, but will really just be the same in
that it will still exclude the tool base I'm used to for developing. And
I'm also afraid that I'll plow ahead with ZopeEDIT and find that 'Zope
Studio' in fact DOES address my concerns and my time will have been
wasted ;) So I'm trying to get a handle on what sort of projects are
happening, whether they meet my needs, whether I can contribute to them
to help them meet my needs, or whether some folk are interested/willing
to contribute to a 'non-browser' approach to an IDE. Any comments,
suggestions, declarations of insanity are most welcome.

cheers!
jim

Martijn Pieters wrote:

> From: "JB" <jimbag@kw.igs.net>
> > I've been poking thru the archives of this list and there was a brief
> > thread regarding a Zope IDE back in January. I wondered if there has
> > been any futher discussion/development in this area. Recently I put
> > together simple a way to edit DTML src via the Medusa FTP, mainly
> > because I've had it trying to edit src in Netscape. I've been poking
> > around looking into XML-RPC as a way to do management without having
> > that *&^%@$#^$ browser in the way and wondered if anything was happening
> > in that dept, or if anyone was interested to have anything happen in
> > that dept. BTW, I have checked out the Mozilla list too. Another browser
> > isn't it?
>
> Mozilla is another browser, yes. Zope Studio is an IDE for Zope build using
> Mozilla as a framework. We use it's cross-platform GUI widgets for our
> interface, and we use it as a application framework. You will be downloading
> a seperate application, but this will (probably) be automated for you by
> Mozilla.
>
> I am using your ZopeEDIT to do the Use Cases for it though =) This is on
> Windows 98 (I haven't had time to switch over yet, Debian potato is
> installed, but is yet to be fully configured..). It works like a charm.

Cool!