[Zope-dev] Policy question: correct location to put member contributed libraries

Andrew Wilcox circle@gwi.net
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:05:56 -0500

At 10:42 AM 3/27/00 -0500, Brian Lloyd wrote:
>Probably the best place is a package in the
> lib/python/Shared/
>directory of the Zope installation. This is the
>place for packages that are not product-specific.
>For example, lib/python/Shared/DC contains packages
>from Digital Creations - you might want to put your
>stuff in lib/python/Shared/Foo/PersistentListDict
>(where "Foo" is your organization or some other
>contextual name to distinguish your packages).
>
>Hope this helps!

Hmm... To store packages by the name of my organization would imply a
degree of ownership that I'm not sure I want for an open source library.
Wherever they go, they had better well darn *stay* there, or existing
objects of the class in the ZODB won't be able to be unpickled.  (Do I have
this right?)  I may want to turn active maintenance of the library over to
some other volunteer someday...  Does simply
lib/Python/Shared/PersistentListDict/(*.py) risk namespace clashes too much?

Thanks!

Andrew