[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Zope in Jpython

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:57:26 -0800

[J. Atwood, on Wed, 29 Mar 2000]
:: I know this is probably a hot topic and will be much debated but have you
:: guys at DC looked into this? Are there reasons why this is a good idea? Bad
:: idea? It seems like a natural way to increase the performance of Zope while
:: keeping all the power of OO and Python.

Last I heard, JPython runs at roughly 50% the speed of CPython, so I
don't see how such a switch could result in a performance increase.
Since Jim Fulton has written key Zope extensions in C, I'd suspect a
JPython Zope would be correspondingly more than 50% slower.

JPython is cool as a scripting language for Java, but wasn't, I
believe, ever intended as a standalone programming language for large
development projects.