[Zope-dev] Zope-wide config. file

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:29:34 -0800

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that Zope doesn't read a configuration file at
> any point?

Yep.

> For example, let's say you wanted to make the format of Zope's log
> file customizable like Apache's, so you can give it a log format such
> as "%h %l \"%{User-agent}i\" \"SSL %{HTTPS}x\"".  Where would you let
> the Zope administrator set this?

That person would have to edit the source.

> I suggest there should be some global config file read on Zope's
> startup, and products or Zope subsystems could get at its contents to
> read parameters of interest.  So, for example, the log file example
> would be configured like:
>
> [zLOG]
> Format = %h %l ...

I know we have to go somewhere near there, but I'm not sure how much i
like the idea of a flat file.  We're also not the only people that need
configuration information, we might as well work something into the
framework.  A flat file would be ripe ground for a crusty collection of
free-for-all config hacks.

Why not keep configuration information in the ZODB?  Or at least offer
it there as application level configuration.  Maybe then we could
federate down framework configuration to some kind of outside file,
stuff out side the application like logging (well, logging should have
been) and ZServer.

-Michel