[Zope-dev] zodb question

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Mon, 1 May 2000 22:52:58 +0200

Hi!

I am trying to figure out how actually Zope works in order to decide
if I can use Zope or components of it for my own projects (or maybe
extend Zope and then doing these projects with Zope).
One question which comes to my mind is simple how objects are stored.

Are they stored directly with the given hierarchie or are they simply
put into the database with a unique ID and the mapping to a directory
structure is not directly bound to the object?

Or another way round: Do Folders store their list of children in a
object attribute and thus in the database or do they get this
information from somewhere else?

  (I've tried to find this in the source but I was a little confused which
   class now derives what from which other class ;-) Is there any class
   browser for Python?)

Implications of these questions would be if it' easily possible to
put an object into more than one folder.

And related questions are: How can I access the OID or the list of
children of an object/folder ?

Interesting would this be when trying to do some sort of SharedFolder class
or similar things.

best,
  Christian

PS: If you're interested in some more details of what I am thinking a good
    structure for shared data might be please tell me.. :) Maybe it's even
    not that good as I think it is now.. ;-)