[Zope-dev] Changing ZClass base classes comfortably (was Warning! TransparentFolders...)

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Thu, 4 May 2000 15:44:25 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Spisak" <444@hiretechs.com>
To: "Phillip J. Eby" <pje@telecommunity.com>
Cc: <zope-dev@zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2000 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope-dev] Warning! TransparentFolders and ZClasses

> This is a production systems that is in *heavy* use. I don't feel
> comfortable with the fact that the RIPP will probably change quite a bit
> and break a few things.  Also, it's all ZClass based.  I am really in a
> bind as to using ZClasses for web access to development, or Python
Products
> for mutability.

I'm very much a fan of ZClasses (as I think I've said before around here :)

The biggest trouble I see with them is that the most "supported" method of
changing the base classes of a ZClass seems to be to create a Python base
class for each ZClass. While this is certainly doable, it's also somewhat
annoying to have this non-web-based dependency for a product that is
otherwise completely thru-the-web.

Does anyone know what exactly the potential issue is with the
hold-on-to-the-seat-of-your-pants method of base class changing? I know lots
of people have done it without trouble... but, I bet a lot of people would
prefer Zope had a more "supported" method of doing this through the web.

Kevin