[Zope-dev] Development or stable

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 10:34:16 -0400

> Originally, Zope was distributed in two versions, stable and unstable,
> right ? Why is it that you've gone away from this approach? I've
> seen lots of bug postings relating to new or changed
> features; isn't the
> linux-kernel versioning system better/smarter/easier to understand?

That was done during the alpha/beta transition period to Zope 2.0,
mainly due to the core architectural changes and the need to get
wide usage of the 2.0 code from bleeding-edge folks while still
being able to provide incremental updates for people who
(understandably) could not use the unstable code, since the alpha/
beta period lasted a fairly long time.

While this sort of thing may happen whenever we go from 2.x -> 3.0,
the general Zope release policy is that there is one current stable
release, and those who want to live on the edge can use remote CVS
if they so choose.

Your point about seeing lots of posts about bugs fixed and new
features is well taken -- we have recently solved some of the
internal operational roadblocks that tended to hold up releases.
Starting very soon, we will be able to provide much more frequent
and regular stable releases than we have in the past, so there
will be far less lag time in getting these fixes/features out.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909