[Zope-dev] Advocating the splitting of Zope in subpackages

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Thu, 11 May 2000 04:35:08 -0300

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 01:01:40AM -0500, Roman Milner wrote:
> Hello.  I'm trying to use the ZODB and Catalog out side of zope...

Folks, it's about time (or past time) Zope is splitted from its
monolithical package into the real packages it uses. I'm facing
similar problems when using ZPublisher.Client in gnope.

These things should IMHO be distributed as independent Python
packages, at least:

- ZODB
- Catalog
- ZPublisher
- StructuredText

They were all designed to be Zope-independent (ok, the only
good reason to use ZPublisher outside Zope is for clients, but
anyway, it's designed to make other things possible).

I'm sure there are more.

What would be the drawbacks of making these subpackages
independent? Management? I don't think that would be too bad.
And the possibility of having them released independently is
also a very big bonus (StructuredText is _so_ unmaintained that
there are people working on an independent version - and it
looks cool!)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll  ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
            News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo           mailto:lalo@hackandroll.org
                 pgp key in the personal page

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar