[Zope-dev] Advocating the splitting of Zope in subpackages

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 11 May 2000 11:42:01 -0400 (EDT)

Lalo Martins writes:
>Folks, it's about time (or past time) Zope is splitted from its
>monolithical package into the real packages it uses. I'm facing
>similar problems when using ZPublisher.Client in gnope.

Agreed; we're beginning to use the ZODB to store data outside of Zope,
and getting just the minimal set of dependencies is a pain.  I ran
into the same problem for the earlier Oedipus versions that used the
ZODB, and my instructions simply told people to install Zope and add
lib/python to their path.

While completely packagizing Zope is a big job, it does seem possible
to take it in little increments, and splitting out some of the more
useful components would be a start.

What on earth is less likely than *two* committees to produce a seamless web
of anything but intrigue and deficit? Who said "three committees"?
  -- Stan Kelly-Bootle, _The Computer Contradictionary_