[Zope-dev] Question about ZEO

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 10:59:10 -0700

Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:

> We are currently evaluating which database to use in a large scientific,
> Python-based application. At the moment the best candidate seems to be
> ZODB. However, we would like to use socket-based communication between
> a database server and a moderate number of clients (typically 2-100) in
> a heterogeneous network. E.g.:

<snip>

> we would like to do something like
>
>   db = DB(ClientStorage('hostname', port_number))
>
> and the other code unchanged.
>
> Will ZEO do this for us?

Yes.

> Is ZSS the server we want, and will there be a
> ClientStorage class which can be plugged in instead of FileStorage?

StorageServers store their information in Storage objects just like ZODB
DataBases.  Thus, you can plug any kind of Storage you want into a
StorageServer, including a ClientStorage that points to another
StorageServer.

http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/MyWiki/ZEODescription

--

-Michel Pelletier