[Zope-dev] Re: [zope-xml] XMLDocument beta release

Tue, 16 May 2000 21:43:12 +1000

aside: the updated patch to allow the FT ZDOM to apply against current
CVS didn't have paths for the filenames (oops) - I've got a new version
up at http://www.zope.org/Members/anthony/patches/4ZDOM-vs-CVS-0512.patch

>>> Chimezie Thomas-Ogbuji wrote
>   This document describes installing XMLDocument beta on Unix.
>
>   XMLDocument requires 4DOM which is installed by the ZDOM installation.
>   Simply installing ZDOM should resolve this dependency
>   XMLDocument requires 4XPath and 4XSLT

Does it require the newer (beta) versions of 4DOM that are in the
4DOM directory, or can we use the existing (0.8.3) release versions?
Hm. It seemed to want to find xml.xslt, which isn't in the current code,
so I guess so... :)

>   Download this files from our FTP server (ftp.fourthought.com):
>     /pub/4Suite/4Zope/XMLDocument/XMLDocument-beta.tgz
>     /pub/4Suite/4Zope/XMLDocument/XMLImporter-beta.tgz
>     /pub/4Suite/4Zope/XMLDocument/4Suite-Base-0.8.0beta1.tar.gz
>     /pub/4Suite/4Zope/XMLDocument/4XPath-0.9.0beta2.tar.gz
>     /pub/4Suite/4Zope/XMLDocument/4XSLT-0.9.0beta2.tar.gz

note that the path instead appears to be /pub/4Zope/XMLDocument/...

>   Installing ClobXmLDocument and XSLTMethod:
>     decompress XMLDocument-beta.tgz to a temporary directory like so:
>
>       cd (some temporary directory)
>       tar -xzf (location of downloaded file)/XMLDocument-beta.tgz
>
>   run the stage.py script file.  By default, it installs XMLDocument
>   to /usr/local/src/Zope.  If you have installed Zope in a different location

Hm.  This installs stuff in lib/python/OFS and lib/python/Products/OFSP,
rather than in a seperate Product - why is that?

A small amount of butchery, and I've got something that
a) goes into lib/python/Products/FTXMLDocument
b) works under the current CVS.

I've fixed a lot of XSLTMethod, but not all of ClobXMLDocument (yet).
In case someone else wants to work on it (I'm not sure how much time
I'll have tonight), the work so far is at:
(warningwarning: lightly lightly tested.)
http://www.zope.org/Members/anthony/patches/ftxml-beta-cvs-anthony0.tgz

A couple of questions about the ClobXMLDocument - it appears to just
be a DTMLDocument, with an internal attribute that's the parsed XML as a
DOM structure. This parsed DOM isn't exposed to Zope at all, at least as
far as the normal ZDOM stuff goes (it looks like XSLTMethod knows how to
find it, but that's about it) - would it be an idea to expose this?
Would the ZDOM stuff you guys did allow Zope to traverse through this
sort of DOM?

More questions later, no doubt.

thanks,
Anthony