[Zope-dev] Zope 2.2.0 alpha 1 released...

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar@maxnm.com
Tue, 16 May 2000 16:52:49 +0300

Brian Lloyd wrote:

> > Hmm.  Let's say an object is owned by user Joe.  I export the
> > object and
> > reimport it in a different Zope installation, where Joe
> > doesn't exist.  Who
> > owns the object?  nobody?
>
> No - you do :) Importing is the moral equivalent of "creating"
> the object. Whenever you create, copy, cut & paste or import
> you will get ownership of the resulting new object.
>
> To me, the more hairy issue is what if Joe *does* exist in the
> different Zope installation, and you *do* want Joe to continue
> to have ownership?

Aie.  I tend to import/export really big chunks of objects that would
presumabley be owned by different people.  So having one of the users import
wouldn't be good enough.

How about generating a unique id for each user that is also unique across
Zope installs (as in ZClasses)?
Then when importing you'd check if Joe here is the same Joe there by
comparing the unique ids (which would be stored together with the zexp - no
point in storing them in every object.)  So you'd just have to make sure you
importing acl_users before importing other objects, or set the user's unique
id via some sort of web form. Of course, this wouldn't work for SQL and LDAP
and passwd users.

Or go the Unix way - if the username is the same, assume it's the same user
(of course in Unix it's the uid, not the username, that counts).

--
Itamar S.T.  itamar@maxnm.com