[Zope-dev] Re: [zope-xml] XMLDocument beta release

Wed, 17 May 2000 10:12:27 +1000

>>> Chimezie Thomas-Ogbuji wrote
> Initially ClobXmlDocument started off as a seperate Product, however
> because of the various changes to internal Zope code, an incomplete
> grasp of the Product API, and the fact that XMLDocument is intended to
> be merged into Zope eventually, it was decided that it would be coded as
> internal products.

There doesn't seem to be any reason why it has to go there, tho - there's
a number of existing "internal" Zope products that go in lib/python/Products.
In particular OFS and Products/OFSP are already the dumping ground for all
the unloved puppies in the Zope world :) so not putting stuff there is a
Good Thing.

Making it something that installs into existing directories makes it
much harder to install, and makes it much more vulnerable to being
broken when Zope is upgraded.

> I haven't gone over the code changes, and it may be messy to determine
> them, but could you outline the changes you made? It would make it
> easier for integration into the next release

Okay. I ripped apart ClobXMLDocument and made it derive from DTMLDocument,
rather than copy all of DTMLDocument's code. I also fixed the appropriate
imports &c to make it work from a directory in Products. As an added advantage
it now works with 2.2alpha as well (since the old code that was copied
from DTMLDocument didn't work in 2.2)

XSLTMethod I've done something similar to - the only piece left to do
is the __call__ method - it copies the one from DTMLMethod for now. To make
it work under 2.1.6, you'll want to keep your existing __call__ method, but
lose the rest.

> The final intent is for ClobXMLDocument to evolve to a fully
> heirarchical zope/dom tree (upon initial parse) and not just to contain
> the parsed XML as text -- much like the current XMLDocument.  The
> feature set for the beta was for ClobXMLDocument to be a 'wrapper' -- a
> parsed object entity, if you will -- of XML content.  Eventually,
> ClobXMLDocument (or XMLDocument as it will be called) itself will be a
> top level DOM node of the XML content.

Good. I was wondering :) since the current one seems pretty limited in what
it can do from Zope. I'm glad that it's going to be moving to a fuller
featured thing.

Thanks,
Anthony