[Zope-dev] Loginmanager/guf the right way to go?

Alexander Schonfeld alex@garage.co.jp
Wed, 17 May 2000 12:43:39 +0900

Wouldn't it be better to improve Zope's built in authentication system to
support more generalized membership systems?  Rather than building these
separate loginmanager/user folder things?

That way roles and permissions could be integrated easily.  And auto-account
generation could be possible:
	0. let anonymous people fill in the account gen form..
	1. send out the email with pre-generated password
	2. build default folder/prefs/whatever
	3. let the user login and see whatever the role supports...
		plus their personal stuff.

I guess the main problem is the "plus their personal stuff" thing.  How
hard would it be to make a new private vs. public layer.  It seems this
would start to sound like unix permissions... 'doomed to repeat' et all.

As I understand it, currently there isn't any private stuff for people
in the same role?  This seems like it might be useful for major sites...
and yes... one day... when zope rules the world... there will be 'major
sites' and people will have their own folders and all will be good.

...IMHO, comments please.

Regards,

Alex.

1010011010101001101010100110101010011010
0  Digital Garage
1  Alexander Schonfeld
0  alex@garage.co.jp - pear - 03-5454-7219
1  http://www.zope.ne.jp/