[Zope-dev] Re: Superuser ownership (was "Adding LoginManager at the root")

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar@maxnm.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 10:55:15 +0300

"Phillip J. Eby" wrote:

> >I can agree wrt naming. I don't agree wrt import. Import is equivalent
> >to copy.
>
> Consider the situation of someone with "development" and "production"
> sites, exporting from one and importing to the other.  Import is now
> "lossy" with respect to responsibility.

I'm with you on this one - it's very common for us to have two servers, and
to move stuff between them using export/import in order to keep them in
sync.  If import changes the ownership, this makes it virtually impossible
to do without resorting to moving the whole Data.fs.

The same goes for moving - lets say I'm rearranging the site and have to
move the Portal object.  If the managing user that moved the Portal becomes
owner of all these objects, the whole Portal has been screwed up, since
Portal members no longer own their own documents.

--
Itamar S.T.  itamar@maxnm.com