[Zope-dev] Zope + Gadfly = Rapid Prototyping?!

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Tue, 23 May 2000 22:10:13 -0600

Thomas Weholt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that I`ve a couple of SQL-methods working with Gadfly, I`m wondering if they will work without modification if I install a different SQL-database, like Postgres. Of course, that depends on SQL-syntax used and what part of SQL-standard the other database supports, but for rather simple SQL-stuff it should be ok, right?
>
> I hoped to create a prototype of my entire project just using Gadfly, with a very limited amount of data, then install a different database-adapter when it`s time to really shove alot of data into it. The queries might need optimization, but I`ll take those problems when they come.
>
> I just want to know if there are pitfalls to watch out for working like this?

i prototyped a large and intricately=linked support system in Zope with
MySQL, and deployed to Sybase. of course, I later improved it by taking
advantage of some of Sybase's advantages over MySQl
-cough-*views*-cough.

Basically, as long as you stick to standard SQL, you _should_ be fine.