[Zope-dev] zpatterns: rackmountables must be of-wrapped

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:53:41 -0500

At 05:33 PM 5/24/00 +0400, Jephte CLAIN wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I believe items got from a rack have to be wrapped in context of the
>rack. I've been bitten by this (and it hurts!). When I try to use items
>from DTML, only the superuser can use it, even managers can't access the
>objects. When I wrap the items in the context of the rack, everything is
>fine.
>So: retrieveItem, createItem use vanilla objects

retrieveItem and createItem are not intended to be public methods; the only
reason they don't begin with an "_" is that I wanted to make it possible
for them to be implemented as DTMLMethods or PythonMethods.

>getItem, newItem wrap objects before returning them

These are the API's you should be using, as they are the ones that tell the
rackmountable what rack it belongs to.