[Zope-dev] how to download a entire ZWiki site?

Gregor Hoffleit gregor@hoffleit.de
Wed, 24 May 2000 17:18:40 +0200

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 07:28:09PM +0400, Jephte CLAIN wrote:
> Where I work, I do not have access to the internet, and as such, I have
> to move software and docs back and forth to my office. I understand that
> it is better for collaborative work to use ZWikis, but I wonder, how do
> I download the entire site to view it offline???

Hmm, offline browsing and Wikis don't mix very well.

For structured wikis, I had some success with wget, grabbing the root
"Entire wiki Contents" page like this:

  wget -r -l1 http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/FrontPage/map

This should traverse all the wiki pages. This won't get things like the
"backlinks" or "offsprings" pages, though, but it's enough to browse through
a local copy of the pages.

Here we're running in the problem of mapping Zope's traversal paths onto a
filesystem: Using "wget -r -l2" won't work, since e.g.
"http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/HowDoIEdit" is an HTML document as
well as a directory (like in
"http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/HowDoIEdit/backlinks"). Now we
needed a Zope-aware wget that would save the HTML document as e.g.
.../HowDoIEdit/index.html

Anyway, if you use this to fill up a web proxy cache (e.g. wwwoffle), that
knows how to handle these cases, it works quite nice, even with -l2.

I noticed another problem with wget and Zope: ZServer doesn't issue a
Last-modified header, therefore incrementely updating the pages using
timestamps (-N) fails:

  freefly;129> wget -N -r -l1 http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/FrontPage/map
  --17:08:06--
  http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/FrontPage/map
             => www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/FrontPage/map'
  Connecting to www.zope.org... connected!
  Length: 1,745 [text/html]

      0K -> .                                                      [100%]

  Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
  17:08:06 (41.56 KB/s) - www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/FrontPage/map' saved
  [1745/1745]

    Gregor