[Zope-dev] Observer / Notification Interface Proposal

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 19:20:49 -0700

Tres Seaver wrote:

> I have started a page for an implementation of the GangOfFour Observer
> pattern within Zope:
>
>   <URL
> http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/Projects/Interfaces/ObserverAndNotification>
>
> Please comment, either here or in the wiki.

I'll do both, this is absolutely a desperately needed feature in the
ZCatalog.  Currently, Cataloged items must take responsibility for
notifying a catalog of their changes instead of the ZCatalog observing
them.

Amos and I talked about this over Pizza a couple weeks ago but we were
thinking from a pretty Catalogcentric view; or at least I was.  I was
considering an interface like the new Security API that could be
imported in python and used to discover and notify catalogs of object
changes.  But this now seems to me to be some kind of pattern where
objects need to discover an appropriate or canonical resource, like a
catalog.  This interface should be defined also, so that newly-born
objects can notify a resources of their existence.  I've added this to
the InterfacesWiki

http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/Projects/Interfaces/Discovery

Thoughts on how they relate?  Are they the same thing?

--

-Michel Pelletier

http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/MyWiki

Visit WikiCentral for the latest Zen: