[Zope-dev] Observer / Notification Interface Proposal

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 19:22:27 +0100

Michel Pelletier wrote:
> There allready exists such a thing, superValues([meta_type]).  But I
> think this is too weak to use as a discovery protocol.  An observable
> may not know or care what type of observer it wants to discover.  Also,
> when it finds a number of various resources, catalogs lets say, does it
> just notify them all?  Is there a concept of a default?  Can they
> negotiate?

Can this be limited by security? Take our Free Zope server, we don't
want something to discover everyone else's ZCatalog's

What about non-security related? There may be similar instances where
you don't want to discover anything other than a specific catalog...

Also, can an observer that gets notified during discovery just turn
around and so 'no, I don't want to do anything with your notification'?

cheers,

Chris