[Zope-dev] New Help System in 2.2

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Tue, 30 May 2000 18:30:03 -0500

I too agree the new help system looks nice.

I was considering at one point jumping up and writing a documentation
system for Python/Zope. Unfortunately my notes, not many, are at work.
But some things I had in mind were based on something like JavaDoc. I am
not a Java expert and have not really used JavaDoc much but have seen
some of its documentation.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a parser which could extract
documentation from source to create external documentation files which
could be generated into multiple formats, html, xml, etc. I would have
needed to create a documentation format which could be used in source
but extracted. I was not going to use docstrings as they are intended
for a different purpose and are compiled into the bytecode.

I was thinking that the parser could run over a module and extract
functions, methods, variables and properties, etc. and create a stub
framework on a form. A documenter could then edit documentation for any
or all of the methods, save and it would be inserted appropriately into
source.

I thought it would also be nice if the documentation tree would also
parallel the source tree and have a corresponding colorized html
rendering of the module for browsing. This way one could jump from
documentation to source at will.

I was basically making idea notes. I was going to look at the current
doc generating and py2html tools available first. Then Starship went
down and I couldn't access them. :(

I also wanted to see what the DC team was doing.

I think it would be nice to see some ideas and processes for what and
how Amos and Michel are doing with the documentation and how the
community can help.

Just some thoughts.

Jimmie Houchin