[Zope-dev] Re: New Name for Python Methods

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:18:47 -0500

(CC'ed to zope-dev.)

Steve Jibson wrote:

> I just took the poll for the new name for Python Methods and so far, it
> looks like people like the existing name.  Based on this, I have a
> suggestion for another name to add to the list:
>
> "pyMethod"  (or "plMethod" for Perl)
>
> The same pattern--standard filename extension + "Method"--could be
> follwed for any future languages (i.e. cppMethod for C++)
>
> It's retains the same appeal as "Python Method" but eliminates some of
> the confusion.

Maybe.  What do you think of:

"Python ZMethod"
"Python Zope Method"
"Python Web Method"

Here's what the meat of the problem really is, explained well by Jim:

  Evan's Zope objects named "Python Methods" don't behave
  or look like methods defined by the Python programming
  language. There are quite a few people who think this is a
  problem. Evan has good reasons for wanting the current
  behavior. If this problem is considered to be significant,
  there are, a number of possible alternatives:

  1. Change the name of Evan's objects, in which case
     "Python Method" shouldn't be a choice.

  2. Change the behavior of Evan's objects to more closely
     match what Python programmers would recognize as a
     Python method.

Thus the poll did not ask the right question.

Shane