[Zope-dev] License issues

Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:50:16 +0000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:48:20 +0100 (MET), palomar@sg.uji.es (Juan
David Ibáñez Palomar) wrote:

> it's illegal to distribute GPL code together
>with [ZPL] code

I dont see this as an issue for Zope (taken as a whole). There is no
problem with other developers releasing GPL products for Zope, as long
as they do not create a combined distribution of Zope+TheirProduct.
Separate rpms is enough.

I agree that GPL-compatability would be better for some of Zope's
components which are useful outside of Zope (ZPublisher, ZODB, ZEO,
etc)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:09:40 -0600, Jimmie Houchin
<jhouchin@texoma.net> wrote:

>The GPL would protect DC from predatory competitors. It would also allow
>for Zope's adoption in certain environments. I also believe some people
>would relicense their products to the GPL if it were Zope's native
>license.

If a future version of Zope was released under GPL, I (and I guess
many others) would *need* to create a fork from the last non-GPL
version. This is to nobodys benefit.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com