[Zope-dev] objectValues performance

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:48:33 -0800

Brett Carter wrote:

> Ok, I'll bite.  Why doesn't the standard folder scale?  Seems like a
> design flaw to me - why doesn't the default folder use catalogs or BTrees?
> -Brett

Because massive scale is not a requirment of folders, they are meant to
organize content for humans, not to be large-collection containers.  A
folder with 5000 elements is not very useful to a human.

On a similar note, create 5000 files in a linux directory on a ext2
(standard) filesystem and then type 'ls'.  You'll notice they don't
scale very well either, which is why there are filesystems like
ReiserFS.

-Michel