[Zope-dev] Re: CoreSessionTracking proposal

gotcha@swing.be gotcha@swing.be
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:17:07 +0200 (MET DST)

--- In zope@egroups.com, Chris McDonough <chrism@d...> wrote:
> I suppose I could implement something like this (encode the IP
address
> into the token) and provide a knob to turn it on and off on
the id
> manager.  I'm not going to do this for the first iteration, I
need to
> get it working first.  :-)
>
> Steve Spicklemire wrote:
> >
> > I forget now where I saw this.... but one of the session
managers I looked
> > at once checked the IP address of the visitor to make sure
it was the
> > same for the entire session, or longer. This at least makes
it much harder
> > to hijack a session, even though it means that long-lived
cookies might
> > be fooled as a user gets a new dynamic IP address...

I think WebHub is using the IP address. WebHub is a product
built and working witrh Delphi. I tried to find where they
mention it on their website (http://www.webhub.com) but could
not find it.

In fact, if I remember well the server remembers the IP address
(instead of crunching it into the id) and check the
correspondence between the session id and the IP address when
answering request.

I was told that some ISP change your IP address during a
connection but never took the time to check if it is true.

> > -steve

> >     Chris> Session tokens, AFAICT, cannot be secured.  They
can only
> >     Chris> be obfuscated, which mitigates the risk that they
will be
> >     Chris> guessed.  However, there's no way to completely
secure
> >     Chris> them, no matter how many MD5 hashing algorithms
you run on
> >     Chris> them.  If a session token is stolen, that's the
key that
> >     Chris> the "attacker" needs to visit the website "as
you".  I've
> >     Chris> addressed this in the implementation by giving
the session
> >     Chris> token a random element, and this mitigates a
guessing
> >     Chris> attack, but not a theft attack.
>
> --
> Chris McDonough