[Zope-dev] Strange permissions in the (built-in) API reference

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:53:29 +0200

I have just thouroughly looked through the API reference
which is built in Zope 2.2.2.

I found many strange permission statements, e.g.:

  * all methods of "PropertySheets" can only be used from Python

  * while "PropertySheet.propertyItems" can be used with
    permission "Access Contents Information",
    "PropertySheet.getProperty" can be used from Python only

  * "ObjectManagerItem.restrictedTraverse" can be used
    from Python only

  * some permission are given as "XXX" (e.g.
    "ObjectManagerItem.this")

I wonder, if this is caused by the API reference being shipped
with "data.fs.in" (which, in my case, is old, at least 2.2.1).

If this would be the case, then it might be better to have such
documentation outside in the file system, as "data.fs" tends
to taken over from older installations to newer ones.

Besides, there are many small problems with structured text.
One particular instance is the removal of default arguement
values '', caused by the interpretation of "'".

Dieter