[Zope-dev] Reversing symlink namespaces ???

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:34:34 -0400

Phil Harris wrote:

> Shane/All,
>
> Anybody using the symlink product?
>
> It seems to me it uses namespaces in the wrong order.  Imagine the hierarchy
> below:
>
> Root
>     Folder1
>         doc1
>     Folder2
>         symlink1
>
> Now let's assume that Folder1 has a property 'copyright', and also that
> Folder2 has a property of the same name.
>
> At the moment the 'copyright' from Folder1 is used in preference to the
> 'copyright' from Folder2 when viewing the symlink.  Does this seem right?
>
> Anybody got any views, suggestions etc.

This occurs because currently, symlink allows the object to retain its
acquisition context for security.  If you change the line below...

v = ob.__of__(parent)

to this...

v = getattr(ob, 'aq_base', ob).__of__(parent)

...then you'll get the effect you're looking for, but if you allow
others to add or modify symlinks, you just might have a security
problem.

Shane