[Zope-dev] Security and Acquisition?!

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:01:34 +0100

Toby Dickenson wrote:

> Zope security is context based: Users can be defined in a subfolder and only
> have access under that folder, they can also be given local roles for a
> given folder. The role:permission mapping is set per-folder. Any security
> aware object needs to know its context.

Yeah, I think I get it now *grumble* *grumble* ;-)

> > That said, I think Shane said that Zope security is
> > predicated a lot on
> > Acquisition. Now, can I get the solution I'm looking for by mixing in
> > Aquisition.Explicit, still have the security stuff work and
> > not have the
> > DisplayClass acquiring attributes I don't want it do?
>
> Yes, you will need to set Acquisition.Acquired for the necessary attributes.

Anyone know what those attributes are?

Maybe someone could knock up a new class in Acquisiton:

Acquisition.SecurityAcquire which does this but is like
Acquisition.Explicit for everything else?

> Wanting to make an object non-acquiring may be a danger-sign of some other
> problems. If the correctness of your program depends on the absence of
> certain attributes (acquired or otherwise) then you need to take extra care
> over PropertyManager-like features, which might allow a user to add the
> critical attribute.

Yeah, I know :-S

But these are very specific classes that exist for no longer than the
duration of serving a single page request, and it'd just be nice to know
that they're not going to acquire and fluff they shouldn't...

cheers,

Chris