[Zope-dev] Do I really understanding caching?

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:12:46 -0700

We have been looking at caching in Zope as a way of tweaking performance.
Heres an example of what I think happens:

- Supposing I have a 1,000 object catalog. If one person changes an catalog
aware object, that instance of the catalog will be pulled out of the ZODB
and changed. It will then be written to the ZODB. That last copy will stay
in the cache for as long as the "Cache Parameters" are set to allow.

- If somebody changes another catalog aware object, that will repeat the
above process.

- However simply accessing the catalog (no changes) will pull the object
from the cache.

- What would be really nice is if the object only got written to the cache
when it is no longer used, that way every time the catalog changed it didnt
write to ZODB instead it changed the cached version. Of course that does
bring up the recovering from disaster problem.

So do I understand it correctly?

--
  Andy McKay, Developer.
  ActiveState.