[Zope-dev] dtml-in performance

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Thu, 05 Apr 2001 08:32:34 -0600

Brett Carter wrote:

> What can I do to maximize the peformance of a dtml-in statement?
> When iterating over a 2000 row database query, it takes about 20
> seconds - time mostly spent doing security checks, and calling
> __getitem__ in DT_InSV.py.  Is the performance of dtml-in just slow?
> -Brett

Another performance consideration with looping in DTML is that whatever
is in your DTML block is reinterpreted each time through. Although it is
parsed (hopefully) only the first time through, this overhead is still
considerable when multiplied over 2000 rows. You are essentially using
an interpreter (Python) as an interpreter for DTML. I would seriously
consider moving this entire operation (query, iteration and html
generation) to native Python if performance is a big consideration.

--