[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] **Important Notice** for Zope public CVS users

ender kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 02:40:32 -0700

On Friday 13 April 2001 02:22, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>>Hi!
>>
>>On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Brian Lloyd wrote:
>>> We are soon going to begin checking in changes to the head of
>>> the Zope CVS that will require the use of Python 2.1. Once we
>>> start on the 2.4 tasks, you will not be able to use a public
>>> CVS checkout of Zope with older Pythons.
>>
>>   Why not make a branch, and port some important things from one branch to
>>the other? This allows people to checkout from the branch, not from the
>>head.

i asked brian much the same thing on zope-dev (i was trying to avoid cross
posting). his is response follows.

-kapil

There is (and will continue to be) a "current release branch",
which is the branch that stable (bug-fix) releases are made
from. Currently the release branch name is 'zope-2_3-branch'.

This is probably the branch that most CVS users actually want
to be using anyway. Running from the trunk you get all of the
latest bugfixes, but you also get all of the latest half-baked
work for the next feature release - which might be worse than
the bugs you were trying to avoid in the first place :)

So if you are running from CVS (but are not running from the
current release branch) you can go into your local copy and
do: 'cvs up -d -P -r zope-2_3-branch' to update to the release
branch checkout.

The warning is mostly aimed at the bleeding-edge people who
use the CVS trunk. If you are running the release branch you
will continue to get bug fixes and will not need to upgrade to
Python 2.1, as the changes in preparation for 2.1 will only
go into the trunk.