[Zope-dev] WebDAV etc permissions (Re: zope nautilus cabal)

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
18 Apr 2001 17:50:34 -0600

On 18 Apr 2001 15:39:20 -0300, Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 11:48:39PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> > > The WebDAV (and XMLRPC) stuff either needs to be decomposed to run on its
> > > own port (and only that port) or more explicit permissions need to be
> > > associated with WebDAV/XMLRPC operations if we take for granted that being
> > > able to browse the root folder structure is a bad thing.
> (...)
> > Basically, 'access contents information' isn't a great permission. If you
> > turn if off, life gets horrible, if you leave it on, bits hang out. I'd
> > prefer to see something like:
> > - Access Contents Information via HTTP
> > - Access Contents Information via FTP
> > ..etc...
>
> When I crawled out of bed today it ocurred to me that there is
> a very reasonable sollution already.
>
> We've had a "FTP access" permission for ages. So, either:
>
> - make WebDAV, XMLRPC etc protected by "View Management Screens"
>
> - make WebDAV, XMLRPC etc protected by "FTP access"
>
> - make WebDAV, XMLRPC etc protected by "DAV/RPC access"
>   (a new permission)
>
> yes?

Perhaps for webdav and ftp it would work fine. XML-RPC is a bit of a
different animal, as it runs through  http, thus on the same port as
zope's http side.  Going out on a limb here, I would guess that to move
XML-RPC to a seperate port would be very, very time consuming and
difficult; not to mention questionable with respects to the standard?

Bill