[Zope-dev] CVS trunk vs 2.3 branch (Was: WebDAV locking module?)

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:43:54 +0200

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 08:49:12AM +1000, richard@bizarsoftware.com.au wrote:
> I checkout the source using the command on the zope web site:
>
> % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository login
> % cvs -z7 -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository checkout Zope2
>
> What's this branch you speak of?

That is the trunk, the main line on the CVS server, that you are checking
out. Once a Zope second-dot version goes gold, however, it gets it's own
release branch, onto which we only check in bug fixes and very small
features (if they are of direct benefit).

So, the Zope 2.3 series has its own branch, called zope-2_3-branch. To
check out from that branch, add '-d zope-2_3-branch' to your checkout
command (I use the short 'co' for it):

  % cvs -z7 -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository co -d zope-2_3-branch Zope2

Or you can switch an existing CVS sandbox to that tree by using the update
command ('up' is the short version) in the root directory of the sandbox:

  % cvs -z7 up -d zope-2_3-branch

Don't forget to recompile the extensions!

Especially if you are using the sandbox for production systems, or
development ment for production systems, you really want to avoid using
the trunk! We will *very* soon be switching the trunk to requiring Python
2.1, and as you discovered, new features in the trunk will not be found in
current releases. That's why we use this system..

--
Martijn Pieters