[Zope-dev] ZCatalog comments

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:11:55 -0400

> Michel Pelletier wrote:
> >
> > +        There are some rules to consider when querying this method:
> > +
> > +            - an empty query mapping (or a bogus REQUEST) returns all
> > +              items in the
> > +            catalog.
>
> Is it only me that finds this really irritating? Surely a blank query
mapping
> should return nothing, not everything?
> (at the least it'd be nice if this was configurable ;-)

This is for hysterical reasons.  Lots of code depends on:

<dtml-in Catalog>
</dtml-in>

.. Principia's/ZTable's original customers (newspapers) decided it was
better to show *all* the classified ads instead of *none* of the classified
ads if the search spec matched nothing.  I agree with you, however.  That
said, I don't think it's that big of a deal, and it can be dealt with
through documentation.

> > +        Depending on the type of index you are querying, you may be
> > +        able to provide more advanced search parameters that can
> > +        specify range searches or wildcards.  These features are
> > +        documented in The Zope Book.
>
> Wildcards? Hmmm... that's enticing, where and how will they be supported?

It's in there already for text indexes.  ? and * do the right thing.