[Zope-dev] Opening the Zope repository...

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:44:22 +0200 (CEST)

Brian Lloyd writes:
 > http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/OpenTheZopeRepository

Nice that the open repository should come!

Apart from that the document does not yet say very much.

I have no strong preferences for the specific hosting (SourceForge versus
bayMountain) other than that SourceForge seems to run quite well
with lots of projects and lots of people.

I am a bit concerned about the legal implications for contributors.
Of course, DC wants to fight malicous activities and carelessness
affecting the quality of Zope code.
On the other hand, everybody makes errors despite
care and best intentions. Some may later prove fatal.
I think, it would not be adequate to legally threaten
contriuters more than DC itself is threatened by her Zope customers.
Risks in this area should instead be minimized through an appropriate
process that spreads responsibility to more people,
by e.g. peer review, test and documentation obligations for changes,
extensive testing before modified code enters a core
Zope distribution.

Dieter