[Zope-dev] Efficient and flexible object references

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:00:49 -0500

Hi Folks,

On Sunday, August 19, 2001, at 01:06 AM, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:

> On 19 Aug 2001 00:28:34 -0400, Gary & Karyn wrote:
>> Michael and Robert--thank you very much.  The global id looks like an
>> excellent avenue to explore.  With this or the ZPatterns approach, I
> am much
>> relieved: what I need should fit within Zope well enough after all,
> thanks
>> to your ideas.
>
> With ZPatterns, you're basically only getting separation of application
> logic from storage, with some extra neat things like skinscripts that
> make application logic easier.
>
> If you want the retreival of meta-data without waking up the object, you
> still need to layer on the global unique id with ZCatalog on top of
> ZPatterns.

Hmm... one nice thing about ZPatterns is that you could control what is
stored where, and when it's looked up, or "woken up" at the SkinScript
level  so the application doesn't have to muss with the details (and you
can change your mind later about the details with no impact on the
application!). This, to my way of thinking, is a huge advantage!

-steve