[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope-Coders] Zope 3; getting in on the act?

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:33:23 -0500

Jim Fulton wrote:

> This is a quick note to let you all know we're glad you are paying attention.
> I'm a little pressed for time right now, but I'll make a much fuller
> response soon (no latr than Monday) with lots of information and suggestions
> on ways to contribute.

Well, Tres beat me to the punch a couple of days before
I sent my note, but I hadn't caught up enough to see his
message. :/ Hopefully, I'll be able to add a little something.

We've created two new mailing lists:

to discuss Zope3 and ZODB 4 (the next generation of ZODB,
which will be used with Zope 3).

As Tres pointed out, the main place to get information is
the ComponentArchitecture Wiki:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture

There's a lot of good information there, although it's badly in need
of updating, including responsing to comments. I'll try to
get a good bit done this week. The Vision Statement at:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/VisionStatement

describes the goals and, at a high level, the approach.

See especially the "Proposed Solution" section.

There are two reasons why the Wiki has been a bit neglected for the
last few weeks:

1. I was focussed on a tutorial, aimed as Python programmers, that
   described, in a step-by-step detailed way, with an example, how to
   develop content and components for Zope3.

   The tutorial is available via CVS in the "Docs" area. You can
   browse it at:

   http://cvs.zope.org/Docs/ZopeComponentArchitecture/PythonProgrammerTutorial/

   Note that:

   - Only Chapter 1 is (mostly) done.

   - The tutorial text is in the README.txt files.

   - The tutorial is arranged into chapters and the chapters are
     arranged into steps. The steps are executable Python
     packages. Step5 of chapter actually worked with the checked in
     Prototype code (see below) as of this writing. :)

2. When I reached a stable revision of the tutorial, we began working
   on an evolutionary (we hope) prototype of a future architecture
   necesary to run the tutorial. We still have a ways to go.

While I was working on this document, Shane Hatheway posted an
excellent summary and FAQ of some of the recent developmebnts:

http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2001-December/014313.html
http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2001-December/014318.html

The first link above includes instructions for checking out the
Zope 3x prototype.

You can also browse the prototype code at:

http://cvs.zope.org/Zope3/?only_with_tag=Zope-3x-branch

We'd very much like community involvement at all levels. I encourage
people to get involved. The mailing list and Wiki are a good place
to start.

Jim