hooking up gdb (was Re: [Zope-dev] More signal 11 restarts....)

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo@hiper.com.br
05 Dec 2001 18:37:22 -0200

Well, one of the things I was going to ask next was for some help doing
postmortem.

We aren't getting any core files, even after setting ulimit correctly
(although we could be setting it uncorrectly. I'll look into that
further). Anyway, someone else in this list said that core dumps for
threaded apps in Linux were mostly useless, so we aren't investing much
energy in it anyway.

With the short restart times we have, I'd prever a solution that didn't
involve keeping a dead site dead for too long (as in, debugging with
gdb). We are working in a ZEO scheme that would switch over the
accelerator to proxy another zeo client, but we are not there yet.

It would be ideal if we could instruct python to grab the SIG11, invoke
gdb, get a C stacktrace for all threads and let Zope die in peace. If it
all happend in a few seconds, we will still keep the client happy.

So, to answer your question, yes, I am confortable hooking up gdb. I'd
just prefer if it could be done in as little time as possible.

	Cheers, Leo

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.