[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.4 crashes -- possible fix identified, other solutions also suggested

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:25:25 -0500

Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:

>On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 13:44, Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
>
>>Soo... if shutting off GC extends time between crashes for some folks
>>from every 15 minutes to 3 times a day, my advise is to shut off GC.
>>

>Now I can really confirm that gc.disable() is enough to avoid the
>crashes (no need to recompile python --without-gc).
>
>And as far as we could notice, it didn't start leaking like crazy. We
>haven't been able to identify any noticeable increase in memory
>consumption. If it is leaking we will need some more time to notice it.
>
>Cheers, Leo

Keep in mind that the leaks you may experience are directly related to
what code you run, and whether or not they introduce cycles.   Some of
the restricted python compiler code did/does create cycles under the
assumption that the GC would break them.  But if you dont lean on code
that uses RestrictedPython too much, you can live with slow leaks elsewhere.