[Zope-dev] Patch acceptance. What about this one?

Adam Manock abmanock@earthlink.net
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:42:10 -0500

Fellow Zope addicts,

I do both name and IP based virtual hosting from a single Apache instance,
proxypassing
to various different places within Zope. It works great, with or without
Apache working
mod_ssl magic!

Except.....
There's a little issue with Zope logging to be solved.

Zope logs the IP of the Apache server, not the client. Oops. I might want
to track where
all administrative logins are really coming from, for example!

So I decided to try searching this list before rolling my sleeves up and
fixing it myself.

Here's what I found:
http://www.mail-archive.com/zope-dev@zope.org/msg07600.html

Well it appears that Joseph has already solved it for me. Great, gotta love
this community.
Probably a cleaner patch than what I could have come up with anyway. And I
don't have to
spend hours digging through the Zope source to get it done!

Except...

It was written against 2.4.1
I run 2.4.3.
It would have been really nice if it had been included in Zope 2.4.next......

Hmm, has anything else changed that I need to be aware of before applying
the patch?

Lets go to cvs.zope.org and see:
First I look at "Diff for /Zope/ZServer/medusa/http_server.py between
version 1.26.4.2 and
1.30.36.1". Changes. Looks like some careful inspection of the code and
some testing
is in store for me. And more porting work next time I upgrade Zope... and
next time.

I can't help but wonder why something this simple and useful was not just
included in
Zope 2.4.next? It would have saved me and all the poor fools like me so
much duplicated
effort...

Just another Zope Admin's 2 cents worth......

Adam