[Zope-dev] Re: Zope server dies with Netscape's FTP

Jon Franz jfranz@one.net
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 18:50:11 -0500

I think this may be a problem with passive/active FTP sessions and
(possibly) proxies settign between you and the Zope instance.  I've had the
same problem with other FTP clients when I try to FTP into a Zope server: at
one client's office they do NAT, which acts as a proxy - around 60% of the
time my FTP session will lock up on a PUT, and the WHOLE zope instance dies.
I had written it off as somethign to do with the clien'ts network - but if
its happening to others out there too, then maybe its time we launched an
investigation into this?  The problem I noticed when I looked at it
previously is that no error was ever logged, even with the debug option
turned on - the zope instance just died mysteriously.
Anyone know of a way off-hand to force zope to do a stack traceback to the
error log when an FTP error (or some other unknown error) takes it down?
Once we track down the problem we could at the least prevent it from killing
anything but it's own thread, if not fix it completely...