[Zope-dev] The field converters (:int, :text, etc.)

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:58:03 -0500

On 4 Feb 2001, at 15:59, Morten W. Petersen wrote:

> IIRC, there was some talk about modularizing the field
> converters (checkers) so that they could be easiliy modified
> and added to.  Is there currently any efforts to solving
> this problem?  If not, there's definently a need for it,
> IMO..

I agree. Each time I get a Zope update I have to edit Converters.py

What I want is something like :empty_as_none

So a float, int or date field will be passed as None if the fields are blank,
rather than having the converter raising an exception.

ignore_empty doesn't work, because then the field isn't passed in the
Record at all.

I use SQLDict as the backend for all my forms (wow, it's great), so None
really is needed for every field if its blank. If I have ignore_empty, then that
field doesn't get updated in the database, so if someone wants to blank
out a field, they can't do it.

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               AOL-IM: BKClements