[Zope-dev] Re: ThreadSafeCounter

Erik Enge erik+list@esol.no
13 Feb 2001 16:57:18 +0100

[Morten W. Petersen]

| The ideal solution would be to use an object that lives in the ZODB,
| I wonder if there is a way to keep the 'object history' empty?  That
| is, keeping the counter 'packed' while retaining 'object history'
| information on all other objects.

I'm no ZODB expert, but I think the short story is that you can't have
this across several threads -- because you would have to use _v_
attribs.  And what good is a ThreadSafeCounter if it's not threadsafe?

By the way, the reasons for this to be better as a ZODB object is that
you wouldn't have to worry about which filesystem the server runs, and
if there is serveral servers?

If you have the resources, a really cool thing would be to set up a
Zope box running a counter and an XML-RPC script in the other end.
That wouldn't be a problem making safe.  You do have other stuff to
consider then, though.

I like XML-RPC.