[Zope-dev] Re: ThreadSafeCounter

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:36:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Johan Carlsson wrote:

> > Small confusion here:  "ZODB" is a higher-level abstraction than
> > "FileStorage";  it is quite feasible to have one or more storages
> > inside your Zope which are "packless" / "undo-less", and which
> > then have the space efficiencies you are looking for (often at a
> > non-trivial time cost).
>
> Is where anyway to pack an ExternalMount without having to
> unmount it first?  Could it be setup to do inside Zope?

I'm unsure about this.

> How does DC handle this on zope.org (I believe the wikis are on
> a ExternalMount, if I'm not mistaken)

We never pack the wikis storage:  that difference in policy is
actually the reason we moved wikis to a separate storage in the
first place.

The other thing about the zope.org storages is that they are all
served by a ZEO storage server;  hence, I think it would be
feasible to create an additional ZEO client, which used the main
site's "sub-storage" as its own main storage;  one would then be
able to pack it (I think), while leaving the main site running
(but more slowly during the pack).

Tres.