[Zope-dev] Java and Zope

Phil Harris phil.harris@zope.co.uk
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:45:07 -0000

Hi all,

Over the last few weeks there have been a few questions asked as to whether
Zope can play with Java or not.

Until now the answer has been a resounding 'NO'.

Until now that is,  I've done some rudimentary tests, NT4 + Zope2.3.0 +
JDK1.3, that indicate to the contrary.

If you're interested take a look at
http://media-1.ml.uwcm.ac.uk:12380/index_html.  This page is calling an
external method that imports (in the Python sense) the java.lang.String
module, and then does a dir() on that module.

Theere are still some issues to iron out, the JVM needs to be created on the
python thread that is currently executing, this sometimes goes awry and the
jvm is not available for the current thread.  This is my focus at the
moment.

Nothing earth shattering right now, but things will get more interesting.

Thing is I'm in no way a Java bod, and can't really test this properly,
anyone up for testing it?

I have the stuff you need, win32 binaries etc, if you want to play Java +
Zope stuff.

Thanks for listening

Phil
phil.harris@zope.co.uk