[Zope-dev] "dynamic permissions" in zope

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:26:24 +0000

Steve Alexander wrote:

> I believe the latest LoginManager allows you to specify what roles a
> user has, and compute these each request, based on the details of the
> request.
>
> This is probably more useful than having dynamically computed
> permissions; While I can see how a user's roles will vary according to
> where they are, what they are doing and when they are doing it, I cannot
> see why permissions need to change in that way.
>
> However, you mention that you are new to Zope. ZPatterns can be
> difficult to understand and get into. Other than the creators of
> ZPatterns, I haven't heard of anyone using this computed permissions
> system.

What I forgot to mention: LoginManager is a Zope product that is built
using ZPatterns, another Zope product.

When you are doing advanced things with LoginManager, you need to know
how ZPatterns works.

There are a couple of HOWTO documents on using LoginManager. It will be
only a small change to alter the "userRoles" method that returns the
roles a user should have to calculate these roles based on other criteria.

See these documents for information about how to set up LoginManager.

   http://www.zope.org/Members/dlpierson/sqlLogin
   http://www.zope.org/Members/jok/SQL_based_LoginManager

--
Steve Alexander