[Zope-dev] CatalogAware

Michael Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:12:06 -0800

Chris Withers wrote:

> Michael Bernstein wrote:
> >
> > Now I'm wondering how to duplicate the behaviour of Postings
> > being contained within Squishdot, but not appearing in the
> > 'Contents' tab.
>
> that's definitely a 'bad' thing :-(

Why is that bad? A custom object management UI ('Postings'
and 'Moderation' tabs) seems appropriate for Squishdot. I
wouldn't want to manage postings from the standard
management interface.

> Why duplicate anyway? You writing a replacement? ;-)

No, I'm creating two different applications, an image
archive and a book catalog. Both need to handle large
numbers of items. The standard management interface does not
scale to the number of objects involved from a usability
perspective.

Neither of my projects need objects to nest (as squishdot
postings do) so I don't need to duplicate the tree
interface, but instead I'll probably create a batching
interface to allow relatively easy access to all contained
objects.

I'd like to know how to prevent the objects being listed in
the 'Contents' tab, while still allowing other objects (like
DTML methods) to be added there.

Any clues?

Michael Bernstein.