[Zope-dev] ZCatalog scalability

Erik Enge erik+list@esol.no
23 Jan 2001 13:15:39 +0100

[Chris Withers]

| ...and is that specifically for BTree folders, or Zope BTree's in general?

I don't believe that B-Tree folders have those kinds of limitations by
general design.  I'm more conserned that somewhere along the lines,
doing operations on a huge BTree Folder (Yes, in Zope) will be slow.

However, this is more gut-feeling than anything else.

Hm, more over, if you actually need to stuff that many objects into
one Folder, you are probably trying to use the wrong tool for the job.

I do expect that stuffing 27 million objects into one BTree Folder
will be slow, and I don't want to segment the data.  I do expect that
I'll have to resort to a relational database, and I have no problem
with that.  Object databases aren't always the right tool for the job,
and when they aren't, Zope let's me talk with the «other» ones nicely,
so no problemo señor ;).