[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] ZCatalog and 'fuzzy logic'

Jan H. Haul jan@haul.de
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:29:42 +0100

"Morten W. Petersen" wrote:

> It seems I misunderstood the term fuzzy logic myself.  Fuzzy logic means
> if I search for a word, for example 'programmer', it will return matches
> to the words 'program', 'programming','programmable' etc.
>
> I.e., it will somewhat intelligently return words that are similar in
> what they mean, using grammar rules (chopping off endings of words and
> making them match others).

Hmmm. This makes the Catalog language specific, as you need
different stemming rules for different languages (for languages
that use stemming, I'm not sure that all do - to my (extremely
limited) knowledge, e.g., Chinese (Mandarin) does not).

So you need to indicate the language when inserting text into the
Catalog (so you can index its base) and when searching.
Alternatively, you indicate the language only at the search and
have the search engine look for all derived forms of the same
base. Probably slower but easier to implement.

Jan