[Zope-dev] Zope 2.4.0 CopySupport changes seem wrong

Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:21:30 +0100

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:19:29 +0200, Martijn Faassen
<faassen@vet.uu.nl> wrote:

>I've just tracked down a bug that suddenly appeared with Formulator used
>on Zope 2.4.0. The problem is with renaming fields (which are objects
>in an ObjectManager).

Im not using 2.4 yet, but I am sure this will be a problem for me too.

>Hm, apparently it was an attempt to fix this collector item:
>
>http://classic.zope.org:8080/Collector/2257/view=20

That collector article describes a very real problem, but the solution
proposed (which is now in the Zope trunk, and causes the problem
Martijn discovered) is fundamentally flawed.

The article describes a ZODB-hosted object which is a link to a file
in the filesystem. The author wants the file deleted when the object
is deleted, and not when it is renamed. A better solution to this
problem involves deferring the file deletion until the end of the
transaction, and only doing it if the link was not resurrected in
another object. (The Collector doesnt disclose the email address of
who reported it... is the original author listening? )

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com